Thursday, September 15, 2011

Vietnam VIX, Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)

I went to Saigon in the morning with the intention to sell my motorcycle. But after the "repairs" on the previous day, my chances of this declined enormously. I worked my way through traffic and found a hostel in the backpacker area of ​​Saigon. "Maybe there is some budget traveler, who has a heart for a Russian diva", I thought. My attempts to sell it were extensive - flyers, internet ads, direct contact and the counter-offer to buy my bike to all the streets vendors I met. Ultimately, everything failed. The only option left was to sell it to a shop. The first shop owner, whom I called had recently acquired four cheap Minsks and therefore wasn't interested. The second complained about the bad market in Saigon at the time, but I was offered $ 100. Since I only had little time left in Saigon, I decided to accept the $ 100 offer. Upon closer examination of the registration and the motorcycle the shop owner noted that the engine number does not match that in the papers. Another failure. On my last afternoon in Saigon, I had a loud motorcycle with false papers in my possession. Annoyed, I tried to call my dealer in Hanoi. He explained to me that the engine has been replaced. A very unsatisfying answer. Since I was more than 1000 kilometers from Hanoi, I had no other choice than to accept this. I drove one last round through Saigon, then I put the Minsk into a supermarket parking lot. I probably give the keys to someone who travels to Saigon.
Apart from the bad experience trying to sell my bike, I had a good time in Saigon. In the evening there was beer for $ 0.5 sold in street cafes and I met some nice and interesting people. The coincidence would have it, that I ran into Scott, whom I had met two weeks earlier in Hoi An.
An interesting but very depressing experience was the Museum of War Remnants in Saigon. This museum focuses at the war crimes during the Vietnam War, by the U.S. and its allies. Unfortunately, the atrocities of the Viet Cong are not shown. The images of napalm, phosphorus and Agent Orange victims are profoundly depressing.
After four days in Saigon I took the bus to Phnom Penh. The only thing I had left of my motorcycle trip through Vietnam, were a motorcycle helmet and the memories of this great time.

Photos in the war remnants museum


Independence Day celebrations

No comments:

Post a Comment