Thursday, September 1, 2011

Vietnam VI, Hoa's Place (Danang)

The road from Hue to Danang leads over the Hai Van Pass, if you stick to the less used roads. The road winds along spectacular rising from sea level over a mountain. Unfortunately my camera was broken. On the pass I met three Vietnamese motorcyclist and an American on a scooter. The Vietnamese had strapped a case of Red Bull on one of their motorcycles and invited the American, Scott and me to have a can.
On the pass, I Scott and I joined forces on the way further south. At a railway crossing in Danang, my Minsk needed a break, the rear tire had burst. Luckily there were three workshops in the direct vicinity. Scott and I drank had cold beverage, while the mechanic went to work. Both activities were completed about the same time. After a few kilometers, I realized that the mechanic had damaged my rear brake while changing tires. I decided against seeing a mechanic, Instead I was going to ride the short distances of the current and the following day only with a working front brake and some extra attention. A few kilometers outside of Danang we stopped the bikes after spotting a large crowd. Scott suggested a Buddhist festival was the reason for the crowd, he was wrong. It was a football game. We spend twenty minutes watching the game and slowly becoming one of the entertaining elements for the crowd ourselves. To foreigners at a footie game in rural Vietnam.
After the game, Scott went to Hoi An and I was heading back in the direction of Danang, because I had missed the road to my quarters for the night. When I arrived the owner was not there, but I got a room and a cold drink. I came to this place, because I had heard that Hoa, the owner, is a former Viet Cong and can tell a story or two over a beer. During my one day stay, I met Hoa only twice for short periods – no Viet Cong stories for me. Otherwise the place was certainly very likeable. There was a communal dinner; drinks and food had to be written in a book on a trust basis, and the location is in close proximity to a beach.
I left Hoa's Place in the morning and had only a 15 kilometers ride to Hoi An to do. During this ride along the coast I became aware of Hoa’s situation. He is the last budget accommodation on this beachstrip, which is being "developed" at the moment. The question that arises is, how long can a place like “Hoa's Place” continue to exist between the hotels, villas and golf clubs.

No comments:

Post a Comment