Thursday, September 1, 2011

Vietnam V, Hue

On the way to Hue, I stopped for lunch in Dong Ha. Ben gave me the advice to eat at Tam's Cafe. Tam employs exclusively deaf people in his cafe. So you can eat and drink for little money with the good feeling to support a meaningful project.
From Dong Ha to Hue, I had to take the coastal highway. On this busy road riding a weak motorized bike is not much fun. I tried not to get in the way of faster cars and buses along the way.
Arriving in Hue, I parked my bike for the next day and a half and checked in a hostel. I walked around for some time in the afternoon. In the evening I felt rather antisocial, so I grabbed my book and read. On the second day I visited the Fortress of Hue. The fort is in bad condition, falling apart and overgrown by plants in large parts. This sparked mixed feelings in me. First, it is nice that one can look at the buildings and instantly recognize, that they are old. On the other hand there is an obligation to maintain this site for future generations. My attempt to load the photos of my second memory card on a computer, ended with the failure of my second memory card.
In the evening I drank a few beers in the hostel bar and met Chris, an American. Ben had got him a job in the hostel. Chris explained me how to go from Hue to Danang, taking Highway one as little as possible. So the next day I would have no problems with buses and cars. Chris was going to meet me on Monday, his day off, in a bar in Hoi An.
On the morning of my departure I took my time at the free breakfast. Then I bought a new memory card for my camera. Before heading for Danang, I let my tires get pumped up.

No comments:

Post a Comment