Friday, September 30, 2011

Thailand I, Bangkok

The trip from Battambang to Bangkok should have taken five hours. After five hours I was on the Thai side of the border and waited for a minibus to Bangkok. Another four hours later I arrived at Bangkok's Khao San Road. Khao San Road is the epicenter of budget travelers in Southeast Asia. Opinions on Khao San Road are divided, either you love it or hate it. I belong to the second category. However, I decided for covienience to spend the night there. Together with a Brazilian, I found an inexpensive room.
I had to do some things in the evening, so I didn't go along with the Brazilians to meet one of his friends. This should prove to be a mistake. The next morning he told me that his friend is a Brazilian model and she had brought a friend (also a Brazilian model).
In the course of the day I bought an overpriced ticket for bus and ferry to Koh Phangan for the evening. I therefore had only one day in Bangkok. Instead of wasting the little time I had with sightseeing, I went to Pratumam. Pratumam is the textile district of Bangkok. In a huge market and countless shopping malls textiles are sold, mainly to traders from all over the world. Individuals are also welcomed as customers. I bought an outfit for the Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan (next post). After the shopping, I went to a hairdresser and had my beard shaved down to a moustache.
In the evening I boarded the bus to Koh Phangan. My stay in Thailand's capital was short and uneventful.

No comments:

Post a Comment