Thursday, September 1, 2011

Vietnam VII, Hoi An

I stayed in Hoi An for four days. During this period I've spent most of my time at four places and in my hotel room.
The first place was the Sleepy Gekko Bar, another advice from Ben. There I had my breakfast-mojito when I arrived in Hoi An and my questions about accommodation, etc. were answered. This bar, with a wonderful view of the market of Hoi An and free rum with each order, was the place where I spent most of my nights.
The second place was Danang. It sounds a bit absurd to name a different city as a place, but if you have your own motorcycle, you can go shopping in a city 30 kilometers away. I went twice to Danang. The first time I bought a new camera. In the electronics shop I was served by five female employees and questioned about most of my private life at the same time. My second trip to Danang was mainly to pass some time. I bought sunscreen and loads of stuff I didn’t need.
The third place was An Bang Beach. On this stretch of beach I spent a few hours.
The fourth site was at the tailor. Hoi An is known for its reasonably priced clothes. The local tailors can produce pretty much everything if the money is right. I had three suits tailored for me. A man, who propagates his private life online, should at least spread some elegance.
In addition to these four places on the first night I was had dinner in one of the finer restaurants with Scott and Xaver, another German. The theme of the evening was how far can you go as a Western tourist until the Vietnamese react to your misbehaviors. We could not answer this question conclusively, because our inhibitions were reached before any response could be recognised. It was a very entertaining evening, which would be difficult to repeat in a similar manner in Germany. I want to assure the reader that we have inflicted no damage or harm.
After four days in Hoi An I needed a break from the main flow of tourists. I sat on my bike, with fully functional rear brakes again, and made my way into the central highlands of Vietnam.


View from Sleepy Gecko Bar


An Bang Beach






My Minsk on the beach of Danang

My new suit

No comments:

Post a Comment