Thursday, August 18, 2011

Vietnam II, Mai Chau

On my way to Mai Chau I witnessed three bike crashes, but luckily I was involved in none. The traffic statistics (according to my information, Vietnam is No. 1 in traffic deaths) and the advice of the shopowner, who sold me the bike, made me skip the busy streets. Therefore I didn’t ride east to Ha Long Bay, but to the west to the village of Mai Chau.
The way there was great. After I had been tied to oficial stops during the endless hours in Chinese trains and buses, I could now enjoy the freedom of stoping and going where I wanted. In addition, I had no problems with the bike.
In Mai Chau I stayed in a stilt house of one of the local ethnic minorities. In my ignorance I've already forgotten which minorities it was, I think white Thai. However, the stilt house and the location was a nice change: in the midst of spectacular rice fields in a valley. Since I am now in Southeast Asia rather than in Central Asia, the village was of course opened up for tourism. Luckily it was not on the main tourist route.

No comments:

Post a Comment