Thursday, August 4, 2011

China VIII, Yunnan Province

Kunming

My Hostel in Kunming had a pick up service from the station, which I took. At the station someone was waiting for me, holding a sign with my name. Instead of proper style with a limousine, we went with the public transport to the hostel. The hostel was right in the center of Kunming, with a large roof top terrace, which overlooks the central square. After I had bought me a new towel, mine is unfortunately still in a hostel in Chengdu, I was able to shower and relax a little bit.
In the afternoon I went to the consulate of Vietnam. A pleasant break from all the embassies and consulates with which I had to do on this trip so far. Nice staff, generous opening hours. After filling out a form and an additional of 100 yuan I could pick up the visa on the next day.
My second day in Kunming started very late due to my insanity on Emei Shan and the combination of good location and company, which had led to a long night the day before. Still, I had some time to explore the city center. The pedestrian area that is a largely moped free zone and it's mild climate make Kunming a very pleasant major Chinese city.
On my last day I bought the appropriate guide bool for Southeast Asia in a bookstore close to the university. The neighborhood around the university was a good mix of cafes, restaurants and shops, it confirmend my good impression of Kunming. In the evening I ate over-the-bridge noodles, a local specialty, which at least made me addicted for the last time. Then I went to the station for the time being my last thirteen hours in Chinese trains. I was going to my last stop in China, Nanning.

No comments:

Post a Comment