Tuesday, August 2, 2011

China VI, Henan Province

Zhengzhou
After a night on my seat, I arrived in Zhengzhou early in the morning. There I checked into a hotel and slept for two hours. Then I took a bus to a Shaolin temple close to the city. The temple was destroyed frequently in its history. A large part of the buildings date from the 1980s and 2000s. Monks trained in Kung Fu were not always popular with the changing rulers. The tempel is not that different to other great Buddhist temples. I had a bit too high expectations for this place.
On the next day I had time till 6 pm, the departure of my train to Chengdu. I wasn’t going to do anything big in Zhengzhou. So for a large part of the day I was hanging out in a park. When I left the park, an older woman with very limited English skills talked to me. She offered to show me around the city for a while. A few minutes later I found myself on the backseat of an electric tricycle. I saw nothing really impressive, but the altered perspective was interesting. The fumes of cars and buses, as well as the madness of the electric scooters were much more intense than from the pedestrian’s perspective. After this tour I had more time to board my train than in Beijing.

No comments:

Post a Comment