Sunday, May 15, 2011

Southeast Anatolia II

Nemrut Mountain
From Urfa I went towards Mount Nemrut in the megalomania of an ancient ruler, huge sculptures had been created close to the mountain peak (2150m). My starting point for visiting the sculpture should be the city Kahta. After 10 minutes in Kahta I decided against that and for a village close to the summit.
As it happens I was just at the bus station as Murat, a pension owner in said village was over. He was in town to pick up his daughter from the doctor. I took a chance and drove the 50 kilometers with Murat to his village and then a few more to a pension close to the summit.
After I had given the nod to the price and condition of my room, Murat offered me to drive me to the summit that evening. In the remaining hours I found that I was the only guest. As the room was neat and the view spectacular, I could live with that. However the enduring sound of the water running in an open channel was considerably worse.
At 18.00 Murat brought me to the summit. It was very windy and the final ascent from the parking lot was steep. However, the sight of the sculptures in a high alpine environment was worth it.
Back in the pension I asked how to leave from there on the next day. The answer was, that a minibus is going  to Kahta at 6.30. I wasn't very pleased with waking up at 5:30.







Diyabakir
After a short odyssey through southeast Anatolia, three mini-bus (on the last one a shepherd brought his dead sheep along) and a ferry, I arrived in Diyarbakir.
The city is known for its massive basalt walls and a bustling life in the tangled streets of old town.
If it is stormy and rains, there is not much bustling life left. Despite the storm and rain I've seen a bit of the city, with a slightly better weather I would have called the center of Diyarbakir beautiful. Not much happened during my stay.




Cizre
When buying my bus ticket and while asked where I was going, I have clearly demonstrated that I am not able to pronounce this city.
After I had arrived at 18.00 in Cizre, I was really set on a quiet evening. However, I met Naim, a local taxi driver, as I wanted to get something to eat. Naim invited me to be his guest at the festival of the Kurdish Democratic Party. I accepted his offer.
Ninety minutes later he picked me ​up at my hotel. The festival was less of a political event, as all those present agreed in their strive for Kurdish independence, but rather a patriotic festivity. The festival lasts three days and during that time people hardly sleep.
After we had some time at the festival, I was asked to pose for a few photos with Naim's friends (the more I travel east, the more often I am asked to pose for photos or watched with curiously). Shortly thereafter, I was glad I had not taken my camera because I've tried Kurdish dancing. The relevant images should be available on various Kurdish phones.
At around 22.00 we left the festival to drink tea in the restaurant of Naim's uncle. Again, I was received with exceptional hospitality. During my short stay in Cizre, I learned a lot about the Kurdish culture and made friends with great people.

No comments:

Post a Comment