Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Southeast Anatolia I

Antep 
Actually, Gaziantep, but I skip, as indeed for most Turks, that later added Gazi (heroic). The Status of heroic, was awarded to the city in the seventies by the Turkish Parliament. It results from the resistance of the population Anteps against the French occupation in 1920.
Today Antep is known in Turkey for its pistachio sweets. That fame is definately earned. But not only the sweets characterize the city. Antep is a city with many trees and greenery (shadow is important in this latitude), an old town and a bazaar that is operated not only for tourists.





 Urfa  
Actually, Şanlıurfa (glorious Urfa), but as with Antep I use the short variant.
After I was lost at first (my map had the old location of the bus station), I was kindly directed to my hotel.
Urfa is well represented in the Bible and the Koran. Abraham and Job spent there days in Urfa.
In addition, the Urfa kebab is due to its delicacy worth to get mentioned. All in all Urfa is a good city but I don t feel like blogging, right now.




No comments:

Post a Comment