Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Uzbekistan I, Burkhara

From the border of Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan, I took a taxi to Burkhara. I was informed of my arrival at the bazaar of Burkhara with the word "Burkhara!" and an appropriate gesture. At that time I had much bigger problems. The question that I asked myself was, if my head would explode or if I would melt as a whole first. I decided to reduce my future vodka consumption and got into a taxi using the simple statement "Hotel" to explain my destination. After a short ride and a small price negotiation, I found myself in a modern hotel room with a soft bed, air conditioning and satellite television. My chances of survival were increased substantially.
In the following days I enjoyed a successful mix of the atmosphere of historic Burkhara combined with an air-conditioned hotel room and satellite television.
Burkhara corresponds roughly to what I had imagined a major city on the Silk Road would look like. With this backdrop, of course, a certain amount of international tourism goes hand in hand. Everything was somewhat easier because I could communicate with people again.
At the end of this post a little side note on Uzbekistan. The largest bill in this country is SUM 1000, equivalent to about 0.45 dollars. The consequence is that one has huge wad of cash in the pockets.








No comments:

Post a Comment