Sunday, June 19, 2011

Iran IV, Kashan and Esfahan

Kashan
On the way back from the three-day trip to the north, I did not get out in Tehran, but moved on further to the south to the city of Kashan.
After a few hours of sleep Alireza put me in a taxi heading to Fin Garden. A green spot in the yellow-brown landscape of Kashan.
Around noon Alireza's roommate Salman and a friend of his showed me the city. Salman's friend studied for seven months in Vienna and spoke some German. I couldn't claim to do the same, on my first try to speak German I failed miserably. After a while I got used to speak German again. I spent the evening with my host Reza, Lukas, an Austrian that I had already met in Tehran and Mohammad, Lukas' hosts.
At the end of the day I had no more Iranian Rial and unfortunately in Iran international credit cards are useless. So I went to change money in a bank on the next morning.





Esfahan
The first time I heard something about Esfahan during this trip, had been more than 1.5 months earlier in Venice. A number of old carpets from Esfahan symbolized the importance of my journey as a trade route path from a historical perspective.
My visit to Esfahan was mainly influenced by friends and a little by the grand historical background of the city. I arrived in Esfahan on the afternoon and received a warm welcome from my CouchSurfing host Mohammad. Mohammad is like so many Iranians extremely hospitable and helpful. He has an entire floor of his house dedicated to the CouchSurfing project and tries to have dinner together with his wife and guests.
The first day was relatively boring. I've done a number of organizational matters and contacted Amin, a friend of mine from the trip to north Iran.
On the morning of the second day Mohammad offered to show me some parts of the city. I accepted the offer and saw most important monuments of the city before it got too hot.
When the the midday heat started, I met Amin and said goodbye to Mohammad. Amin showed me two more bridges, which were quite useless because of the lack of river at that time. Then our group successively increased. First Azar, a friend (northern Iran trip) and her sister, then a friend of Amin joined us. Unfortunately, we were five minutes too late to visit the Armenian church, but in time for great cake. Then we took a funicular railway to the mountains in the immediate vicinity of Esfahan. This cable car is, interestingly, the hotspot of the local dating scene. Later we sat together until two clock.
The next day I wanted to go to Shiraz at around lunchtime. Before I did this, Azar and her sister showed me the Armenian Church. My last hours in Esfahan were crowned by a delicious meal from Azar's mother.









No comments:

Post a Comment