Monday, June 20, 2011

Iran VII, Mashhad

After a 12 hour train ride I arrived in Mashhad. The most important thing for me during my last stop in Iran, was to get the Kyrgyz visa. Therefore the first thing I did in Mashhad, was to get me in a taxi to the Kyrgyz Embassy.
I am generally skeptical, if taxi drivers speak English, and in this case it was entirely justified. The attempt to rip me off was so funny me that I should publish it here. Rather than demand the price indicated on the meter, the taxi driver wanted the Fivefold (for each place in the taxi, including his), plus a supplement for my luggage. After I having a good laugh, I could get my Kyrgyz visa within two hours.
In Mashhad, I stayed with Reza. Reza have not had much time, but knew how to make me feel at home away from home.
The next day I went with Roja, a friend of Reza, her cousin from Australia, her brother Taymaz and a friend of her brother to Neishabur. In Neishabur the grave of one of the most important Persian philosophers is situated. Unfortunately I could not find a connection to this place, because of my not existing knowledge about this part of the Persian culture. The subsequent evening, however, was very interesting, but unfortunately too short, because I wanted to leave for Turkmenistan on the next morning.
I was a little sleepy but otherwise it was quite easy to cross the border into Turkmenistan, the North Korea of Central Asia.


landscape close to Neishabur

No comments:

Post a Comment