Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Kyrgyzstan IV, Naryn

During the taxi ride to Naryn I saw two things that you don’t see in Germany very often. I saw someone start his truck with a crank and an eagle clutching his prey in a dive.
Naryn is no beauty; the town stretches over several kilometers along the Naryn River, without achieving an appreciable width at some point. The environment of this city is a very remarkable mix of agricultural valleys and mountains.
In Naryn, I used the services of CBT. CBT is the abbreviation for community-based tourism. They can arrange accommodation with local families or yurt-stays, as well as offer a series of tours around the area of the respective CBT office. I wanted to spend two days in Naryn and since I had no idea what I should do on the second day, I asked at the CBT office for advice. Unfortunately, the tours of the CBT are nearly all connected with horse riding. I concluded from this, however. That limited my options to expensive trips and the proposal to hike up one of the mountains close to Naryn. I opted for the second option.
On the afternoon of the first day I made my way into the city center, if you intend to call it that. My impression was mixed. Firstly there were the happy-looking children, who were highly amused when I responded to their "Hello!" shouting. On the other hand, there were already some drunks on the street at 3pm.
On the morning of the next day I bought some food and went on my way to one of the mountains close to the city. During my ascent I had a magnificent view of the surroundings; I saw storm clouds as well. Still, I continued my ascent and told myself that the storm front would pass by. After passing a very steep section about hundred meters below the summit, I saw that the storm front moved in my directions and turned around. About five minutes later, I had just passed the steepest part, rain and wind started. No bigger problem I thought to myself and put on my rain jacket. With my sneakers it could be a bit slippery on the way down, but if I would take it slow, it should not be critical.
Shortly thereafter hail in the size of cherries fell out of the clouds. I was not prepared for that. I used my backpack as a helmet and under a painful bombardment I went downhill as fast as possible into the valley. The hail lasted luckily only a bit over five minutes. Then I slipped back to Naryn in bright sunshine.









No comments:

Post a Comment