Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Balkans Part II

Skopje
The surroundings of Skopje watched out of a train window are stunning. On the edges of the city mountains grow to the sky. After leaving the train Skopje showed its ugly face. Large parts of the city have been rebuild after an earthquake struck Macedonia in the 1960s. Unfortunately they did it in soviet style, the consequence is, that Skopje has the ugliest train station I have ever seen and lots of grey concrete blocks. Fortunately a part of the city center is different. The bazar, fortress and stone bridge are essential parts of that part of the city. In addition several construction sites promise a different look in the near future.
Skopje was the place where I had the feeling to come close to the Middle East, espacially Turkey, for the first time. There is a big muslim community in Skopje, as well as many mosques and former turkish baths.
If someone still feels like going to Skopje, let me tell you, they aren`t prepared for tourists. One of the main sights, the fortress, was closed during my stay and when I attempted to visit a museum, it took several minutes until someone unlocked the door for me. I was the first visitor at around 1 pm.




Sofia
On my way to Sofia I could have filmed a trash documentry called: "Cigarette smugglers - crime scene Bulgarian border". Shortly before approaching the border the smuggler opened the ceiling in different places and started stashing his cigarettes. At the border the Bulgarian border patrol looked in various places, including for kontraband, including the smuggler`s stash place, but couldn`t find anything. After departing from the boarder he started collecting the cigarettes.
At the train station my host Ryo was already waiting for me. After a night of partying for him and a train ride with a lack of sleep for me, we agreed that it would be wise to sleep for a while. In the afternoon we visited a bustling park to have fried fish. The coming day sightseeing in the city was a must. Ryo told me before that there are no outstanding sights in Sofia. After my visit there I agree with him.Nevertheless I had a good time spending my easter in Sofia, mostly because of the good company.
Now I am in a train heading for Istanbul. So my next post will come form the edge of Asia.
Ryo and me at Sofia station

No comments:

Post a Comment